- 01Govt. asks House to delay passage of Constitutional Court Law revision
- 02House approves appointment of seven Supreme Court justices
- 0343 foreigners arrested for immigration violations in Riau Islands, Jakarta
- 04Police officer among 6 arrested for illegal mining in E. Java, S. Kalimantan
- 05Five arrested for investment scam, fraud in Java
- 06Tycoon’s brother among four to be questioned in social aid graft case
Islamic State of Iraq and Syria (ISIS) militants claimed responsibility for a deadly bombing at a Catholic Mass in the Philippines on December 3 that killed at least four people and injured 50 others. The attack has raised concerns of a resurgent threat of terrorism in parts of Southeast Asia. The attack was carried out in a university gymnasium in Marawi, a city in the south of the country besieged by Islamist militants for five months in 2017. ISIS, which wields influence in the country’s south, said on Telegram its members had detonated the bomb. Philippine President Ferdinand Marcos Jr. condemned “the senseless and most heinous acts perpetrated by foreign terrorists.” Defense Secretary Gilberto Teodoro said there were “strong indications of a foreign element” in the bombing, refusing to elaborate due to an ongoing investigation. The blast in Marawi, capital of Lanao del Sur province, followed a series of military operations against local pro-ISIS groups in the southern Philippines, where a number of Indonesian militants are also believed to be embedded. The post-pandemic period in the southern Philippines has so far been far from ideal, with a number of indications pointing to a renewed threat of ISIS-linked militancy in the…...